Risk Management and Reliability Analysis
SOLUTION AT Australian Expert Writers
NALYSIS OF BEIRUT PORT EXPLOSION: Risk Management and Reliability Analysis Approach –
This assessment is about: Learning from Failures and Evaluating Risk and Reliability Analysis. This investigation you are expected to conduct a comprehensive assessment of the BEIRUT PORT. A huge explosion on 4th August that ripped through the Lebanese capital Beirut, killing over 200 people and injuring more than 6,000. It is estimated that around 40,000 buildings were damaged, with 3,000 residential structures seriously damaged.
The blast was caused by 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, a chemical compound commonly used as an agricultural fertilizer, which had been stored for 6 years at a port warehouse. The blast is one of the largest accidental ammonium nitrate explosions ever recorded, it was so powerful that it was heard more than 200 kilometres away.
The chemical has caused serious industrial disasters in the past. In 1921, an explosion at an ammonium nitrate factory in Oppau, Germany, killed 561 people and could be heard hundreds of kilometres away, and in 2015, the detonation of around 800 tonnes of ammonium nitrate in the port of Tianjin, China, killed 173 people.
Your task in this assignment is to look back at the issues Beirut port explosion and show what could have been done to prevent the explosion using the risk management and analysis approach. In order to do this: You need to fully understand the causes and the issues relating to the Beirut explosion. Write a detailed report covering the following:
• The technical causes of technical activities leading to the explosion from the risk management and hazard perspective.
• Assess the consequences of the explosion (impact assessment).
• Carry out an investigation exercise and analyse the cause of the explosion, using Fault Tree Analysis, (FTA), and Reliability Block Diagram (RBD).
• For your FTA, estimate the realistic probabilities of the various events you have
highlighted from your investigation (give a good rationale for the value chosen).
• Use Boolean algebra to find the minimal Cut Set and draw the equivalent tree.
• Calculate the probability of failures the Beirut explosion for the top event.
Search for report, videos, articles linking to the Beirut explosion incident to help in your investigation. Keep references of your sources of information. In the report, you should also make recommendations on what should have been done in terms of emergency and contingency planning.
This Report is to be around 3000 words (excluding appendices).
Coursework submission 12th January 2021
This assessment is worth 50% of the marks of the Total Coursework marks. Marking is
Discussion of technical causes of the Beirut explosion in the context of risk identification and evaluation approach. 20%
Use FTA, RBD, Cut Sets and probability of failure calculation leading to the explosion. Define the scope of areas considered in your analysis 40%
Discussion on consequences of process and management failures leading to the explosion in terms of emergency and contingency planning. 20%
Conclusions and recommendations. This should reflect on the analysis presented in the main report. 10%
References (Harvard or numbering style) reference adequately 10%
Sources to consider; you are expected to explore more
- Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts
- (USA, AUS, UK & CA Ph. D. Writers)
- CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS, GET A NON PLAGIARIZED PAPER FROM OUR EXPERTS
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL PAPER – NO PLAGIARISM – CUSTOM PAPER